How to
Change Your Name


About half of divorced women choose to change their name.  There are a few different options for changing your name, and no, you don't have to go back to your maiden name!

If you are just wanting to go back to your maiden name after you have divorced a Marriage Certificate issued by your state or territory’s Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages is usually sufficient evidence of a link between your married name and maiden name and you do not need to go through any application process to change your name.  Some organisations will also require evidence of divorce, so it will be a good idea to have this handy as well.  These two documents are all that you need to change your name on your identification documents and with government departments and other organisations.  Legally, you can start using your maiden name again whenever you like, even before you are divorced, this is called name by association. 

Keep in mind that you are not limited to just changing your name back to your maiden name. You can change your name to what ever you like!  If you are wanting to change your name in any other way apart from back to your maiden name, you will need to go through the standard name change process.   

A name change kit could save you a lot of time if you are going to change your name.  We sell a name change kit that includes instructions for legally changing your name, how to notify different organisations about your name change, frequently asked questions about name change after divorce or separation and the checklist included is very handy (4 pages long!). Click here for more information about our name change kit.

Related Frequently Asked Questions About Name Change After Divorce:

Do I have to make my name change legal?

What is an official marriage certificate?

Name Change Checklist

divorce name change kit click here