How to Change Your Name
in Queensland

Name Change Queensland

The name change process in Queensland is managed by the Queensland Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages.

If you want to change your name you will need  apply to register a change of name.  Forms and information is available from the Queensland Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages website or you can call them if you have specific questions.

There is also a fee involved and this is paid when submitting your forms.

Once your name change has been registered you will be sent a name change certificate and your name change may also be documented on your birth certificate. There are fees involved for getting a copy of your birth certificate or a replacement name change certificate if you misplace the original.

You do not need to go through the official name change process if you are changing your name because of marriage or divorce (or separation) and your name is changing either to your husband's name, or back to your maiden name. Infact, you can change between your maiden name and married name as you wish. It is recommended that you keep your name consistent however, particularly on your identity documents. The only documentation you need for this is a copy of your registered marriage certificate which is available from the Queensland Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages. Some organisations may request documentation that is evidence of your divorce, but this is not a legal requirement and you can change your name without it.

Name change kits are often used to help people go through the name chagne process. Name change kids will outline the process you need to go through, provide you with the forms, and then help you with the hardest bit of your name change - notifying organisations of your new name and getting through the red tape that is often encountered.